Creating a page with slider and set it as home page for TemplatesNext Free themes, For premium theme we have more robust option for slider.http://templatesne. This shows how to show a static front page in Wordpress, instead of the standard 'stream of posts' which displays by default. This is part of our course on c.
Goal: you will know what a Static Front page is, and you will be able to set up a Static Front Page on your WordPress site.
Pre-requisites: you need to know the difference between Pages and Post.
What is a Static Front Page What is a Static Front Page
Wordpress Front Page Template
By default, WordPress displays a list of Posts on the home page of your site. This list of posts is automatically updated as soon as new posts are published, thus this is not static. Also, there is no need to create any page in order to have WordPress displaying this list of posts.
A Static Front Page is a specific Page used as the Home Page of the site.
How to create a Static Front Page How to create a Static Front Page
Reminder: to create a page, go to Pages > Add New
- Front Page: (if not already created) create the Page you want to use as the Static Front Page.
- Posts Page: (if not already created) create an empty page. Give it a Title that will be used on top of your posts list. This step is mandatory as you are modifying WordPress default setting. Any other content other than Title will no be diplayed at all on this specific page.
- Setting: go to Settings > Reading, then ‘Front page displays’.
- Static Page setting: select A static page (instead of the default Your latests posts).
- Front Page setting: in ‘Front page’ list, select the page you want for Static Front Page.
- Posts Page setting: in ‘Posts page’ list, select the empty page you created. Do not select any page with content, as it will not be displayed.
- Save your settings by clicking ‘Save Changes’ button.
Wordpress Static Front Page Template
Connect to your site home page: you should now see the Page you selected.
Since WordPress is a blogging platform, a default installation of WordPress shows the most recent blog posts on the front page. But many users use WordPress as a Content Management System (CMS) for their website and want to have a static page, a number of pages, or a splash screen as the front page instead of a listing of their latest blog posts.
It is very easy to configure WordPress to be used as a CMS for a website so you can have a number of static pages (the website) and the blog. In short, you have to create two WordPress pages in WordPress; one to be used as static front page and one which will be used to show the latest blog posts. Then configure WordPress to use the newly created page as main page with just two mouse clicks. The whole procedure is explained in detail in an easy to follow step by step tutorial below.
Create the static front page as a WordPress page
Login to your WordPress administrator portal, which is typically accessible via http://www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin and navigate to the Pages > Add New node from the WordPress main menu.
- Title the first page to ‘Home’ or any other name that will be used for your new static front page. Note: Do not name the page home.php since it might create conflicts.
- If you already have a custom WordPress page template for your static front page, select it from the templates drop down menu. If you do not have such a template, use the default one.
- Add the content you would like to see within the content area of the home page and publish the page by clicking on the Publish button.
- Create another page and name it ‘Blog’ or any other name that will be used as a place-holder for showing the blog posts on your website.
Note: For the blog posts place-holder page, DO NOT use any custom WordPress page template and DO NOT add content to the blog page. Any content in this page will be ignored and only the title will be used.
- While logged in the WordPress administrator portal, navigate to the Settings > Reading node as highlighted in the screen shot below.
- Tick the option ‘A static page’ in the ‘Front page displays’ settings section.
- From the ‘Front Page’ drop down menu select the title of the static page you created to be used as a static front page.
- From the ‘Posts page’ drop down menu select the title of the page you created to be used as a content-holder for the blog posts.
Wordpress Custom Page Template
Note: You should enable the WordPress Permalinks to show the Page Title in the address instead of the default WordPress URLs. For more information on WordPress Permalinks read How to configure WordPress Permalinks.
Static Front Page Wordpress
WP White Security.com Marketing Tip: Ideally the main static page should use the same colour scheme and similar layout to the blog. Even though the blog is a separate ‘module’ than the website, the more it blends in with the website (colours and theme) the easier and more professional looking it would be.