As a result of the ongoing financial impacts of Covid-19, and the associated University spending restrictions, UMass Lowell has decided to discontinue offering Dropbox licensing. Therefore, when our agreement expires on October 9, 2020 access to Dropbox will be discontinued. U-M Dropbox is provided to active faculty, staff, students, and sponsored affiliates.Employees whose U-M employment ends will lose access. If you are to lose access, you will receive an email notice 30 days before your access ends.This document explains what steps to take before you leave the university and lose access to your U-M Dropbox account. The University of Michigan will migrate its cloud-data storage from U-M Box to U-M Dropbox beginning this spring. U‑M Dropbox was launched in 2020 with the goal of replacing MBox, which has a December 2021 retirement date. Here are migration steps to take. UNIVERSITI MALAYA is a Malaysian Public Institution of Higher Education with world-renowned standing and reputation as a world-class university. UM was established with a vision to be a global University impacting the world and humanity and a mission to push the boundaries of knowledge and nurturing aspiring leaders.
U-M to migrate from Box to Dropbox this spring and summer
The University of Michigan will migrate its cloud-data storage from U-M Box to U-M Dropbox beginning this spring, Ravi Pendse, vice president for information technology and chief information officer, told faculty and staff in an email March 12.
U-M Box, the university’s primary cloud-data storage option, will go away Dec. 1. Information and Technology Services launched U-M Dropbox last summer with the goal of replacing U-M Box this year.
Faculty and staff will migrate to U-M Dropbox on a rolling basis, based on their unit. The process is expected to start for some in the spring term, and for others it will likely extend into the summer.
A promotional campaign is encouraging university community members to prepare for the migration by taking the following steps:
- Create a U-M Dropbox account if they don’t already have one.
- Clean up their U-M Box account by deleting unnecessary files and folders.
- Wait to hear from their unit’s representative — Unit Ambassador — about the self-service migration tool before attempting to move any files or folders.
Multiple stakeholders from across the university worked with ITS since fall to develop the plan for migrating data stored in Box. Unit Ambassadors are collaborating with ITS and making certain that departments and individuals have the information and support they need during the transition period.
Information about the migration is available on the U-M Box Retirement website. Individuals should direct questions to their Unit Ambassador or contact the Box-to-Dropbox project team at [email protected]
U Of M DropboxDropbox at U-M is the University of Michigan's implementation of Dropbox.com's cloud collaboration and storage service. Dropbox at U-M offers an easy and safe way to store and share files and collaborate with others, both within and outside of the University. Dropbox at U-M is available to all current faculty, staff, students, emeritus faculty, and sponsored affiliates at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint, and Michigan Medicine campuses.
The University of Michigan offers M+Google Drive as another cloud storage solution as well. For more information about M+Google Drive, please refer to the following Quicknote on the subject: M+Google Drive: General Information
Intended Audience:This Quicknote is intended for faculty, staff, and students who need cloud-based storage, collaboration, and sharing of documents and secure information.
RequirementsThis Quicknote is for general informational purposes and has no specific requirements.
- 5 TB of storage for all active faculty, staff, students
- Share and discuss documents with others, inside and outside U-M
- Access your files via the web and from a wide range of devices
- Keep track of multiple versions of your documents automatically
- Lock documents while editing, so others can't accidentally overwrite your changes
- Accounts are approved for sensitive data and ePHI (HIPAA)
- Other types of data can be found here
- Data Protection Agreement (DPA)
- Single Sign-On (SSO) — Authentication via U-M SSO
Michigan Medicine Dropbox
Getting Started with Dropbox at U-MTo navigate to Dropbox at U-M, simply follow this link and the directions below: https://its.umich.edu/communication/collaboration/dropbox.
- Click on the Create/Login to U-M Dropbox button.
- Log in with your uniqname and current password.
How to Install DropboxThere is also a downloadable application you can install on your desktop, much like the Google Drive app, to install this please follow the directions below
- Navigate to https://www.dropbox.com/install.
- If you have not already navigated to Getting Started with Dropbox at U-M and set up an account you will need to do that prior to installing Dropbox.
- Once you navigate to the above site, click on the Create/Login to U-M Dropbox button.
- Click Download Dropbox.
- Open the file on your computer.
- DropboxInstaller.exe on Windows.
- DropboxInstaller.dmg on Mac.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install.
- When asked to sign in, use your [email protected] and it should tell you 'Single sign-on enabled'
- It should then redirect you to your web browser to get a code that will need to be copied and pasted into the Dropbox installer
- The installer will ask for the code generated from the web browser and once you enter it you can continue to set up Dropbox to your individual needs
Additional InformationFor more information on what is available please view these resources:
- Other collaboration services offered by Ann Arbor
Special note: ITS has identified known issues when using access databases in dropbox (installed dropbox client and web version), for users needing to continue to access these secure files please place a ticket for the ITS project team to evaluate a temporary and long-term solution as to not impair current university business.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the use of Dropbox at U-M cloud service, please contact Ann Arbor's ITS Service Center for assistance.
Como Fazer Um Dropbox
Phone#: 734-764-HELP (764-4357)
If you have any questions or experience any issues with this Quicknote, please visit or contact the ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
Como Criar Um Dropbox206 Murchie Science Building
Phone: (810) 762-3123