In fact, direct mail was only 1 percentage point behind social media, the second highest ROI medium. Other recent results also showed that direct mail’s response rate of 5.3% is higher than the 0.6% response rate for email. So why is direct mail, something considered by many to be on the decline, still so effective? Direct mail is interactive. Direct mail isn’t dead. If you’ve been in the marketing field for 20 or more years, you probably have plenty of experience using direct mail. The trick for making it effective today is to use direct mail as a tool to handle a single task, instead of running large-scale, expensive campaigns.
While too many organizations make marketing decisions basedon infatuation with the latest shiny new object, data shows that direct mail remainsa safe, effective marketing investment. Not only does direct mail delivertremendous results, but new developments in technology used to create directmail, as well as features available in the actual mailings, make direct mailone of the most innovative marketing channels.
As we count down to 2020, let’s focus on the hard data that speaks to the true value of direct mail marketing.
1) 41 Percent of Americans Look Forward to Checking MailEvery Day (Source)
Who doesn’t enjoy receiving mail or opening themailbox? This anticipation adds to the effectiveness of direct mail marketing.
2) 65 Percent of Millennials Pay Attention to Direct MailAdvertising (Source)
Mail isn’t just for older generations. In fact, millennialsare more likely than Boomers and Gen Xers to bring marketing mail into retailstores, go online because of direct mail marketing, shop at stores thatadvertise through the mail, and purchase items featured in direct mailmarketing.
3) 58 Percent of Mail Received is Marketing Mail (Source)
This is actually great news. If most of the mail peoplereceive is marketing, and people still like getting mail, this only reinforcesthe point that direct mail marketing is welcome and well-received.
4) 42.2 Percent of Direct Mail Recipients Either Read or Scanthe Mail They Receive (Source)
Obviously, getting your marketing noticed is the first stepto getting a response. While many forms of marketing are easily ignored, directmail is far more likely to be read or at least scanned. Fewer than one in four peoplewho receive direct mail don’t read it at all.
5) The Average Response Rate for Direct Mail in 2018 Was 4.9Percent for Prospect Lists and 9 Percent for House Lists (Source)
These response rates are sharp increases from 2017 (2.9percent for prospect lists and 5.1 percent for house lists) and dwarf the 1percent of response rates of email, paid search, and social media. With betterdata and better lists come better response rates.
6) Personalization (37 Percent) Is Among the Top 3 B2BMarketing Trends (Source)
Is any form of marketing more personal than a mailing withyour name printed on it that you retrieve from a mailbox and physically open?Variable-data printing allows you to personalize the text and images on eachmailing to ensure it “speaks” to each recipient.
7) 54 Percent of Consumers Want to Receive Mail about Brandsand Promotions that Interest Them (Source)
That’s more than the number of people who visit a website,follow brands on social media, or subscribe to receive emails.
8) Brand Recall Is 70 Percent Higher for Direct Mail thanDigital Ads (Source)
Researchers studying the neuroscience behind the response tomarketing found that direct mail is memorable because it involves multiplesenses and is easier to absorb and process.
9) Marketing that Integrates All Channels Is More than Twice asLikely to Be Effective (Source)
Effective Direct Mail
We would never suggest abandoning digital marketing.Integrated omnichannel marketing delivers the best results. We specialize inhelping marketers integrate direct mail with email, display, and other forms ofdigital marketing to maximize results.
10) 62 Percent of People Who Responded to Direct Mail in aThree-Month Period Made a Purchase (Source)
Effective Direct Mail Postcards
This is what it’s all about, right? The action. The sale. Theconversion. If you want to get better results from omnichannel marketing, contact us and unleash the power of Digital Dog Direct.