So you’ve been given a Dropbox URL and you want to download the file, but it opens in your browser and there’s no option to download?
Here’s a quick and easy way to take that URL and turn it into a downloadable link.
Dropbox Links Free
In this example we’ll use this link
To make the link download – simply
- replace www with dl
- replace dl=0 to dl=1
If you want to start using Dropbox for free, you will need to navigate to its webpage, Dropbox.com. The sign-in section is available on the right side of this page. Here, you can enter your name. Reddit gives you the best of the internet in one place. Get a constantly updating feed of breaking news, fun stories, pics, memes, and videos just for you. Passionate about something niche? Reddit has thousands of vibrant communities with people that share your interests. Alternatively, find out what’s trending across all of Reddit on r/popular. As you’ll see, the ugly long Dropbox public link displays your HTML file just like any other page on the web. Just make sure you get the public link for an actual HTML file, and not the folder. It ain’t free, but if you really want to expand your Dropbox account’s storage, the Pro account will get you 1TB of storage. Right now, upgrading will cost you £7.99 per month, which isn’t. Just search Dropbox on the sub and someone linked a huge one a few days ago.
Now instead of the file opening from Dropbox it will prompt to download/save the file.
Please note: many browsers by default open PDF files inside the browser. If this happens you need to use the browsers File -> Save as options to save the file.
You can earn extra space by inviting your friends to try out Dropbox:
- Dropbox Basic accounts get 500 MB per referral and can earn up to 16 GB
- Dropbox Plus and Professional accounts get 1 GB per referral and can earn up to 32 GB
To invite someone from dropbox.com:
- Click the avatar at the top of any page.
- Select Settings.
- Select Plan.
- Click Invite a friend.
Once you've sent the referral, the person you referred will need to complete these steps before you both receive bonus space:
- Click the link in the referral email, and accept the invitation to sign up
- Install the Dropbox desktop app
- Sign in from the desktop app
Note: Sharing a folder doesn't count as a referral.
To invite someone from your Android phone:
- Open the Dropbox app on your Android device.
- Tap the Menu button.
- Tap Settings, and then tap Invite friends.
- Tap a name from your list of contacts to select it.
- Tap the checkmark icon to send your invitation once you've selected all the contacts you'd like to invite to Dropbox.
If you don't see the contact information of a person you'd like to invite, you can use dropbox.com to invite anyone else you'd like.
To invite friends to join Dropbox from your iOS phone:
- Open the Dropbox app on your iOS device.
- Tap the person icon.
- Tap the gear icon.
- Tap Tell Friends About Dropbox.
- Tap Invite friends.
- Enter the email addresses of any friends you wish to invite by typing them into the email that opens.
- Tap Send to email the invitation.
Will I still get credit if my friend signs up using a different email address?
As long as your friend signs up for an account with the referral link in your invitation, you'll earn referral bonus space. The email address the person you referred uses to sign up doesn't need to be the same as the email address that you sent the referral invitation to.
If your friend receives referrals from multiple senders, only the sender of the referral link that's used will earn bonus space.
Can I earn bonus space for referrals sent from my Dropbox free team?
If you're a member of a free team, you can’t receive referral bonuses on your work team account. If you'd like to apply a bonus to your personal account, contact Dropbox support.
See the status of invitations you've sent for Dropbox referrals
To check the status of your referrals:
Dropbox Connect To Computer
- Sign in to dropbox.com.
- Click the avatar at the top of any page.
- Click Settings.
- Click Plan.
- Click View all earned space under the Earn more space section.
- Check the Bonus type column. For any space bonus listed as Referral, you'll see the status of the referral under Space earned:
Free Dropbox Links Twitter
- Invitation sent: Your referral has been invited to use Dropbox but hasn't yet signed up for Dropbox.
- Waiting for install: Your referral signed up but hasn't installed and/or signed in from the desktop app.
- Waiting for email verification: Your referral installed and signed in to the desktop app but hasn't verified their email address.
- Completed: Both you and your referral have been credited bonus space.
- Ineligible: The recipient is ineligible for the referral program.
- This may mean that the recipient has already registered an account with Dropbox, or that the recipient is attempting to register using the same computer as you.
- If you feel this status is inaccurate double-check the email address of your recipient to try again.