Collabora Online integration tutorial video We are able to provide a solution for Online Office for the entire Nextcloud community through our partnership with Collabora in an easy to use docker image for developers and home users. Enterprise users looking for a more reliable solution should contact Nextcloud Sales. Collabora Online is an open source online office suite developed by Collabora Productivity, a division of Collabora. It has LibreOffice at its core. The web application allows collaborative editing of text documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
|Type||Private limited company|
|Industry||Software Consulting, Software Products, Open Source|
|Founder||Robert McQueen and Robert Taylor|
|Philippe Kalaf, Michael Meeks, Guy Lunardi|
|Products||Telepathy Communications framework, GStreamer, Webkit, Blink, DLNA, LibreOffice, Collabora Online, Wayland, PulseAudio|
|Services||Open source consultancy and engineering|
Collabora is a global private company headquartered in Cambridge, United Kingdom, with offices in Cambridge and Montreal. It provides open-source consultancy, training and products to companies.
Collabora Office Android
Collabora's initial focus was instant messaging (IM), Voice over IP (VoIP) and videoconferencing technologies, but the company has since expanded its offering to include general multimedia, mobile web technologies, collaboration infrastructure, automotive infotainment platforms, graphics optimization, multimedia interoperability & productivity software. Collabora's department Collabora Productivity is one of the main developers of LibreOffice.
In 2015, the Crown Commercial Service announced the introduction of Collabora GovOffice and Collabora CloudSuite in all non-profit making government organisations.
Projects sponsored or founded by Collabora
- LibreOffice: Collabora Productivity sells support and development services on the office suite. The former LibreOffice development team of SUSE joined Collabora in September 2013.
- The company announced a collaboration with IceWarp to work on LibreOffice Online.
- On 15 December 2015, the company announced partnership with ownCloud and release of CODE (Collabora Online Development Edition), a distribution of LibreOffice Online and ownCloud Server.
- On 2 June 2016, the company released Collabora Online 1.0 “Engine”, which the company calls the first production grade version of Collabora Online.
- On 2 November 2016, the company released CODE 2.0 which includes 'the latest and most requested feature from customers: collaborative editing.'
- Branded versions of LibreOffice include LibreOffice-From-Collabora, Collabora Office, Collabora Online and Collabora GovOffice.
- Collabora Online is shipped with NextCloud Server.
- GStreamer, a multimedia framework.
- D-Bus, a free and open-source inter-process communication (IPC) system.
- PulseAudio, a sound system for POSIX OSes used as the default audio server on most GNU/Linux open source distributions.
- Wayland and Weston (display server protocols)
- Linux kernel Collabora employs multiple kernel subsystem maintainers (e.g. Chromebooks, I3C, battery drivers) and actively contributed to every release in the last few years.
- Farstream and Telepathy, a VoIP and collaboration framework created by Collabora founders. Includes the Empathy chat client.
- Pitivi, a video editor
- vkmark, an extensible Vulkan benchmarking suite with targeted, configurable scenes
- Zink, an OpenGL implementation on top of Vulkan via Mesa Gallium
- Monado, A free and open source XR (VR/AR/MR) platform and OpenXR Runtime for GNU/Linux
Participations and memberships
- Linux Foundation - Collabora is a Silver member of the Linux Foundation since 2010.
- GENIVI Alliance - Collabora is a member of the GENIVI Alliance since 2011.
- Khronos Group - Collabora is a Contributor member of the Khronos Group since 2014.
- Bluetooth SIG - Collabora is an Adopter member of the Bluetooth SIG since 2014.
- ARM Connected - Collabora is a member of the ARM Connected Community since 2014.
- Rockchip - Collabora has been working with Rockchip since 2015.
- Automotive Grade Linux - Collabora is a member of Automotive Grade Linux since 2016.
- R-Car Consortium - Collabora is a member of the Renesas R-Car Consortium since 2016.
- Renesas Alliance Partner - Collabora is a member of the Renesas Alliance Partners since 2016.
- Cambridge Network - Since its founding in 2005, Collabora has been a member of the Cambridge Network.
- Debian - Collabora is a long-time member of the Debian community.
- Outreachy - Collabora has been a recurring sponsor of Outreachy for years.
- GNOME - Collabora is a long-time member of the GNOME community.
- LOT Network - Collabora is a member of LOT Network in support of patent non-aggression.
- Open Innovation Network - Collabora is an OIN licensee in support of patent non-aggression
- ^https://endole.co.uk. Endole https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/05513718-collabora-limited. Retrieved 11 June 2020.Missing or empty
title=(help); External link in
website=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'About - Open Source Consulting Collabora'. Collabora Open Source Consulting.
- ^'Collabora expands with new Multimedia Division'. Archived from the original on 2011-08-29.
- ^'Collabora Productivity targets a marketplace of one billion desktops'. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21.
- ^Mark Wilson (2015-03-25). 'LibreOffice moves to the cloud to take on Office Online and Google Docs'. BetaNews.com.
- ^'Collabora deal will provide savings on Open Source office software'. gov.uk.
- ^'Collabora Productivity targets a marketplace of one billion desktops'. 3 September 2013. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2013.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'SUSE Partners with Collabora to Deliver Commercial LibreOffice Support'. SUSE. 3 September 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'LibreOffice in the browser, revealed in 2011, finally close to reality'. Ars Technica.
- ^'LibreOffice moves to the cloud to take on Office Online and Google Docs'. BetaNews.
- ^Silviu Stahie (20 October 2015). 'UK Government Kicks Out Microsoft Office and Adopts LibreOffice'. softpedia.
- ^'Collabora and ownCloud announce Partnership and release CODE for LibreOffice Online developers' (Press release). Collabora Productivity. 15 December 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Collabora brings LibreOffice Online to ownCloud'. ownCloud, Inc. 15 December 2015. Retrieved 27 December 2015.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Collabora Productivity releases Collabora Online 1.0 'Engine' for Hosters and Clouds' (Press release). Collabora Productivity. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
Collabora Productivity, the driving force behind putting LibreOffice in the Cloud, has released the first production grade version of Collabora Online, its flagship cloud document suite solution.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Collabora Online Development Edition 2.0 released - Collabora Productivity'. Collabora Productivity. 2016-11-02. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- ^Nextcloud. 'Collabora Online Office – Nextcloud'. Nextcloud. Retrieved 2018-10-24.
- ^'Pitivi - flexible video editing for the desktop and beyond'. Collabora's Pitivi product page. Retrieved 16 July 2014.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^afrantzis (2017-07-12). 'vkmark: more than a Vulkan benchmark'. A mind forever voyaging. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
- ^'Introducing Zink, an OpenGL implementation on top of Vulkan'. Collabora Open Source Consulting. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
- ^'Introducing: Monado'. Collabora Open Source Consulting. Retrieved 2019-08-04.
The following guide provides some useful tips on how to select the right cloud storage for the company or personal data. Also, we’ve included the most secure and feature-rich solutions for these needs – Nextcloud self-hosted productivity platform and Collabora Online Office. And finally, you’ll find a very detailed description of how to get these apps up and running on Hidora Cloud. Sounds interesting? So, let’s get started!
Data security and privacy in the cloud environment are two key factors of governments, companies and individual users’ concerns especially now, in today’s online WFH world. Of course, no one dealing with client or employee data wants this data to be handed to some third parties. That’s why it’s important to keep this in mind selecting the right software and cloud storage for business needs. There are three possible options to consider before making the right choice:
- Free cloud storages
- Paid proprietary software solutions
- Open source solutions
Using free tools you never really know what happens with the data, you left on their servers. The risk the data would be stolen or sold to someone is huge. Moreover, you’re not even a customer in this case, because you are not paying.
Of course, paid proprietary software solutions are more trusted as you pay for their service and expect some security guarantees from them. But again, there are a lot of potential risks. No one knows what they do with the data on their servers and what weaknesses are in their code.
What about open source solutions, they can always be up and running on your own servers or at a reliable cloud hosting provider. So you’re getting full control of your company or organization sensitive data. Such an approach guarantees full clarity on who and when has access to servers and data.
Why Nextcloud and Collabora Mix?
With Nextcloud products you always know where your data is, who has access to it and how it is used. Nextcloud provides the industry-leading, on-premises content collaboration platform. This technology combines the convenience and ease of use of solutions like Google Drive and Dropbox with security and privacy. Customers get full control over their data. Nextcloud solutions allow us to control and monitor data exchange and communication and guarantee compliance with business and legal requirements. They enable productivity across any platform and provide transparent access to data on any storage. Nextcloud innovative security technologies are its key benefit over competitors.
Moreover, Nextcloud provides a solution for online office through their integration with Collabora. This is a really powerful mix for storing data, editing documents and communication with full control over files and their exchange. Collabora Online is a great open-source solution for enterprises that are looking for a robust office suite in the cloud, or on-premise. It protects their privacy and allows them to keep full control of their sensitive corporate data. Collabora feature list includes: collaborative and independent viewing and editing text docs, spreadsheets, presentations etc, signed security updates, long term support, any browser support without plugin needed, customizable user interface and more.
Nextcloud Automatic Deployment
Nextcloud deployment to the cloud is super easy with Hidora Cloud service. Just complete the following steps.
- Log into Hidora Cloud dashboard.
- Click on the Marketplace button.
- Select Nextcloud in the list of applications available for automatic deployment and click on the Install button.
- In some minutes the deployment process will be completed. You’ll see the dialog with the Nextcloud admin credentials and the link to the app. This info will be sent to your email as well.
- That’s it! Now you can open Nextcloud in the browser and log in with the above credentials.
Collabora Integration into Nextcloud
Please follow the next steps to get Collabora Online Office integrated into the Nextcloud environment.
- Expand your Nextcloud environment topology in order to modify it.
- Click on Docker Image… and add jelastic/docker-ce application server image. Click on the Next button after that.
- Switch on Public IP for your Docker-ce container and apply the changes you’ve made.
- Establish an SSH connection to the required container by clicking on the Web SSH button.
- Once a connection is established, execute the following command in order to install Collabora Online Office into Docker-ce container, you’ve added earlier.
docker run -t -d -p 9980:9980 -e “extra_params=–o:ssl.enable=false” -e “domain=nextcloud.hidora.com” collabora/codewhere parameter “domain=nextcloud.hidora.com” is your Nextcloud application domain.
- Go to Nexcloud dashboard and click on +App button.
- Navigate to Office & text and download and enable Collabora Online. Use the Nextcloud admin password for confirmation.
- Then Navigate to Settings and find Collabora Online app in the list.
- Specify the Public IP address of your Docker-ce container and append 9980 port number.
- Now Collabora Online is integrated into your own infrastructure.
Enjoy online collaboration without the compliance and security risks with Nextcloud, Collabora and Hidora Cloud.